Do you want to keep your portable generator safe and silent? Do you want to build a portable generator enclosure? Check out this guide plus instructional videos…
- 1 The reasons for an enclosure for your generator.
- 2 Suncast BMS3400 34 cu. ft. Horizontal Shed
- 3 Rubbermaid Horizontal Storage Shed, 32-cubic ft
- 4 How to Build a Portable Generator Enclosure
- 5 View the finished generator enclosure
- 6 Finished Generator Enclosure
- 7 View the finished generator shed
- 8 Alternative Steps to make an enclosure for your generator by Icreatables
- 8.1 Step 1 Foundation and Floor Framing
- 8.2 Step 2 Generator Shed Wall Framing
- 8.3 Step 3 Generator Enclosure Roof Framing
- 8.4 Step 4 Generator Enclosure Siding Installation
- 8.5 Step 5 Portable Generator Shed Trim Installation
- 8.6 Step 6 Shed Single Door Construction
- 8.7 Step 7 Shed Double Door Construction
- 8.8 Step 8 Hanging Shed Doors
- 8.9 Step 9 Installing Shed Door Hardware
- 8.10 Step 10 Installing Hinged Roof
- 8.11 step 11 Installing the Sheet Metal Roof
- 9 View the finished generator enclosure
The reasons for an enclosure for your generator.
- Noise Reduction: Most portable generators are noisy and a sound dampening enclosure can go a long way to reducing the noise. This is great if you want to stay on good terms with your friends, neighbors, family or anybody within earshot of the generator.
- To keep the generator safe from theft: Unfortunately, generator theft isn’t as uncommon as people may think. An enclosure won’t make it impossible for thieves to steal your generator, however, a generator enclosure with a padlock can help deter would-be thieves away from an easier target.
- Weather: A generator enclosure can help protect the generator from harsh weather conditions. It acts as a generator shelter.
- Storing your generator in this enclosure frees up storage space in your garage, shed or basement for other uses
- Makes it easier to start-up and connect your generator during a power outage because it is always ready to go — no dragging generator outside during the outage or bad weather to use it.
The following are some of the best storage sheds you can use as generator enclosures. Some of the sheds might need a little modification to make them perfect portable generator sound enclosure (watch how-to videos below).
Do you want a perfect enclosure that will help keep your generator safe and silent? Buy the Suncast BMS3400 and you won’t go wrong.
Why this is our top pick
The shed features a double-wall resin construction. The double wall construction is perfect for keeping your generator silent (the generator sound wont penetrate the walls) and the resin is for making the shed durable and weather resistant.
The shed boasts a reinforced floor, which can support even the heaviest portable generator enclosure.
To keep your generator safe all the time, the shed’s doors have a padlock hasp.
The shed is pretty easy to assemble. It can take a person with zero assembly experience 30 to 45 minutes to assemble the shed.
The shed’s manual has easy to follow directions.
…but I’m a 37 year old pregnant woman and managed just fine by myself
To ensure that your generator is safe from moisture and water, the shed is made from waterproof material.
Perfect size. The shed is neither too small nor too big. The shed is just perfect for storing your portable generator.
The following is a review from a customer:
…bought to house my generator has lots of room was a good fit for me now i’m work’in on a exhaust system from four inch heat/ drier vent pipe with a booster blower in the pipe . one end the left side for me will be the intake air a common window fan that runs when the generator is powered on. a 12×12 gable louvered vent i will cut into the shed for intake air. same vent on the other side but I’ll have a box around the muffler worked into a 4inch dryer vent 90 a 4 inch booster fan and another 90 into another 12x 12 gable louvered vent. wish me luck this way i can run my generator in the bad weather we have here in Mich. winter or summer. a work still in process. has plenty of room for 3 and 4 prong ,extension cord storage..
The Rubbermaid horizontal storage shed is one of the best sheds you can use as a portable generator sound enclosure.
The generator storage shed has rollers, which allow lid to easily slide back for vertical access to the generator.
The shed has a double-walled construction, which makes it one of the best enclosures for the generator. This construction makes the shed strong and sound resistant thus keeping your generator safe and silent.
The rubbermaid generator enclosure’s impact-resistant flooring ensures that your generator is safe from shock.
Unlike wood and metal sheds, this particular shed is maintenance-free and will not rot, dent, or rust. This ensures a long life cycle for the shed.
The shed is also weather-resistant. This means that your generator is safe from moisture, sun damage and inclement weather.
This shed is large enough and spacious enough for your generator no matter how large it is.
The shed is quick to assemble. You can easily assemble the 7 pieces with common household tools.
You Might Also Like: Milwaukee 6955-20 Miter Saw Review
How to Build a Portable Generator Enclosure
The following materials (or similar alternatives) / portable generator enclosure kit can be used to build the generator enclosure.
You can get most of the items from Amazon or Home Depot, I’ve put links directly to the items needed below.
For the Generator Enclosure
For the Ventilation
For the Exhaust System
- Wall Vent Hood with Spring Damper
- Semi-Rigid Duct
- Foil Backed Fiberglass Pipe Wrap Insulation
- Round Duct Cap
- McMaster Carr magnet – Search for 5685K33 on the website
For the High Temp Cut-Off
The semi-rigid duct linked to above isn’t very well reviewed. If anybody finds a better alternative, please leave a comment to let others know.
Just for your information, these videos are not my own and I do not take credit for them! I just really liked the design of the generator enclosure, and thought that it’d be better to put everything together in one post along with links directly to the materials. You can find out more info regarding this design, or ask questions on the original authors YouTube channel here.
Finished Generator Enclosure
High-Temp Shut Off Mechanism
If you found the videos useful, or if they’ve given you a few good ideas on how to build your own portable generator enclosure. Please give the original author your thanks.
Alternative Steps to make an enclosure for your generator by Icreatables
Below are the videos detailing how to build the 5′-2″ x 3′-8″ generator shed. Each video describes one of the major steps in building the portable generator shed.